Wednesday, November 11

I Heart Vacation

Sorry for the late posts these days. Here are some pics from our sunny vacation in San Juan, Puerto Rico!! We arrived on a Tuesday late afternoon and checked out our hotel at the Ritz-Carlton (super nice!) and the adjoining casino. We went out for an authentic Puerto Rican dinner which totally sucked. Up the next morning and walked to the corner for some breakfast and then off to the beach and pool for the day! Ahhh, so relaxing! It felt good to get my pasty white skin some sun too!! Didn't stay at the beach too long; it was super hot and the ocean was like bath water and not too refreshing. I found a spot at the pool and asked for a floatie and floated in the pool for awhile. Seth and I met up with some friends at the pool and decided to go get some lunch at the poolside cafe. We had the best jerk-chicken nachos ever!! Sounds gross but they were so delicious!! More fun in the sun for the remainder of the day until we had our group dinner reception later that night. Up the next day for some breakfast and a little sun before we left for our Bacardi Rum tour. Sort of lame. Especially for me who could not partake in the yummy looking rum drinks after the tour. Dinner that night at a place called Toro Salao. It's a tapas restaurant and holy cow were we FED!! I thought the food was delicious but Seth just thought it was "okay" (naturally). I think Seth may have had about 12 mojitos while I splurged on a diet Coke. Again, the food was so GOOD!! Off to the casino after we returned to the hotel. The next morning found me at the pool while Seth went on a deep sea fishing trip. I waited and waited for him to come back and two hours after the group was supposed to be back they arrived at the hotel with NO fish! It was a total bust AND Seth got sick over the side of the boat! Later that night we went to a hacienda in the rainforest for dinner. The whole group went to this huge estate and had dinner, dessert, games and such. We left early (I was so tired) but still had a a nice time. We got home and Seth found himself in the casino :) He did win a little bit, but considering that we've been putting money in with no return on the other times in the casino, we hardly won. The next day started out at the pool and then we decided to go into Old San Juan (the main part of the city where the "tourists" go) for some lunch and shopping. We had an excellent lunch and then lots of walking around the city going into the shops and browsing. A pair of earrings is the only thing I found that I wanted to take back home with me. Seth on the other hand found a really nice looking watch at a jewelry store and we went there a total of 4 times so Seth could be sure he was getting/making a good deal. In the end he FINALLY bought the watch!!!! We caught a trolley back to the hotel and had dinner at a local restaurant and then dessert with some friends at the hotel. Once again, Seth found himself at the casino and I packed up our things. I collapsed into bed and we left the next day. We checked in at the airport but interestingly enough, we didn't have to pay for our luggage to be checked AND our large suitcase was over the allowed 50 lbs. I didn't say anything to the lady checking us in but mentioned it to Seth on the way to our gate. We thought we lucked out! When we got on the plane I couldn't find our seats. I got a small pang of nervousness when I said something to the flight attendant but she just guided me to the opposite end of the plane towards FIRST CLASS!! Ah yes, Seth and I may have lost at the casino, but we hit the JACKPOT on the way home (which is why we didn't pay for our luggage to be checked---first class!). It was nice to sit in huge leather seats and to be greeted by name and asked what we'd like for breakfast. Ah yes, breakfast on real plates with real silverware and real glass for our beverages. A bloody mary for Seth, because he could and it was free of course, and because I secretly think he liked it when the flight attendant addressed him by Mr. Davis when she came by :) It was a lovely 3 hour and 45 minute flight!!
All in all it was a great vacation and very relaxing. Here are some pics:





View from my chair at the pool one day


Seth on the beach


The beach


Old San Juan

Old San Juan


Seth buying his watch--it's the one on the big poster in the background!



The store we frequented quite a bit for Seth's watch



The HUGE sandwich Seth ordered at lunch in Old San Juan


The Tapas restuarant we ate at on Thursday night


View from the fishing boat. I assume it's Old San Juan?






The fishing boat used on the trip--just kidding!


The LONG line at the free drink bar at the Bacardi Rum Distillery


Bacardi headquarters


A bartender showing us how to make a true mojito using Bacardi


The Bacardi Rum symbol---the bat represents family...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you'd like!